Reasons we need to stop using plastic and move to Reusable bags
Updated: Aug 30, 2019
Earth has given us a lot from million years it's high time we return the favors. Let’s carry our own Reusable bags and eco-friendly bags to save our earth.
Here are the reasons why we start by shifting from Plastic to Eco-friendly bags to save our earth.
•You know Plastic takes 1,000 years to degrade and it also pollutes water along with land and killing many water marine species. Turtles mistook Plastic for jellyfish and swallowing them and leading to their death. But Eco-friendly bags degrade very fast and they are good for our environment
• People say plastic can be recycled but only 1% of plastic is being recycled and rest is thrown out as trash into sea, ocean and dumping yards these end up in our birds and marine animals stomach and killing them also these are slowly entering in our food chain from the marine animals. The cost to recycle plastic bags is greater than the value of production of the same plastic, so most recycling facilities will not take them. Instead of being recycled, they are thrown out with the rest of the trash.
• Manufacturing a plastic bag requires more energy like it takes to fuel that used for 1km travel in a car to make 18 plastic bags and those bags have a lifetime of 12-15 mins. And also as they use natural gas and petroleum products the cost of these fuels is increasing rapidly. But Eco-friendly bags are reusable and have a long lifespan and non-hazardous to our life cycle and environment. But the life span of a reusable bag is more than 700 disposable plastic bags we are using.
• Plastic is never a biodegradable material it is broken down into small tiny pieces which are swept down and end up in the oceans which are then consumed by wildlife. Currently, there are approximately 1,000,000 plastic Particles are floating within every square mile of the oceans of the globe.
• Not only animals plastic are killing many infants and kids by choking. The plastic produces many chemicals which disrupts the hormones of the human body and consuming these chemicals by marine animals they are entering into our food chain. This is resulting in cancers and other serious health problems.
• Even cleaning these plastic bags are more costly than making and recycling them. Only in Australia, we are producing 118,000 tons of plastic every year and now we are spending millions of dollars to clean that waste.
Many countries like china USA and Australia have already banned using plastic and many stores have shifted to jute bags or cotton bags or asking their customers to bring their own Eco-bags to decrease the use of plastic. Despite all these many people haven’t given up on using plastic for daily use.
Its time we pledge to stop using plastic and move to reusable eco bags like jute bags for grocery shopping from plastic bags or cotton tote bags or canvas bags we can use these for multiple purposes and these can be reused washable they also come in stylish shapes colours and some are even customizable according to our style or taste and they are biodegradable helps to save our environment even after discarding them.